History of CPH
1869. Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, Missouri, is founded on September 11 to preserve the German Lutheran heritage and to reach out to immigrant groups in the new land through the power of the printed word. Concordia is Latin for concord or harmony.
1870. CPH publishes the American Lutheran Kalender, now The Lutheran Annual. Included in the Kalender is the first CPH catalog, a three-page listing of items including doctrinal works, Bibles, music, gifts and periodicals.
1880. CPH publishes a 22-volume, 51,000-page edition of Luther's Works, including the Latin writings and the 15th-century German writings translated into modern German.
1882. The Lutheran Witness begins publication.
1896. Concordia launches Concordia Magazine, its first English language publication for young readers.
1904. CPH's exhibit at the St. Louis World's Fair draws 14,000 visitors and is awarded the grand prize for excellence of workmanship and materials.
1920. German language Sunday school leaflets are discontinued.
1947. CPH publishes the Concordia Bible with Notes, a contemporary of the Altenberter Biblewerk . Its popularity leads to the 1986 publication of the Concordia Self-Study Bible, providing the people of the church with dependable Lutheran notes and comments on the biblical text.
1959. Lantern Books are introduced. Five years later the name of this series is changed to Arch® Books and it eventually becomes the most successful series of Christian children's books in the United States.
1972. CPH is one of only three St. Louis companies to use an IBM unified on-line data entry system.
1987. With a generous grant from the International Lutheran Women's Missionary League, CPH publishes the first course in the LifeLight® In-Depth Bible Study Series. Since then, more than 300,000 adults have spent an estimated 20 million hours in Bible study with LifeLight as the means to a deeper understanding of the Scriptures.
Today, CPH continues to meet the changing needs of God's people. The Ethnic Resources Department, for example, develops materials in Spanish, Laotian, Russian, Vietnamese and other languages.
Throughout its history, CPH has continually made use of technological advances. From telephones in the 1880s, to computers in the 1960s, to today's top ministry online communication tool, MemberConnect, CPH helps God's people share the Gospel around the world.